Estonian Air Force 1918-40
1. Short 184
Serial no. 24 (formerly RAF N9190), Estonian Aviation Company, 1919. A total of six British war surplus Short 184 seaplanes were delivered to Estonia during 1919. They were based at the old seaplane base at the Mine Harbour in Tallinn, and at a series of small naval air stations established along the coast. Finished in PC 10 Doped Linen on their uppersurfaces, these machines have Battleship Grey fuselage panels, decking and floats. Undersurfaces are Clear Doped Linen. Estonian national insignia are present on the fuselage and wings, outlined in White. Estonian colours also cover the whole rudder. The Estonian serial is repeated twice, on the fuselage and fin, and the former RAF serial is retained. All of these are White.
2. Avro Anson I
Serial no. 158, Estonian Aviation Regiment, 3rd Division, 1936-1940. The solitary Anson in Estonian service was purchased in 1936, and was the most advanced aircraft to serve with the Aviation Regiment. This machine was eventually flown to the Soviet Union after the German invasion of June 1941, and is believed to have ended its days wearing Red star markings. This aircraft is finished in an overall Natural Metal scheme. Standard Estonian national insignia with no outlines are worn in four wing positions. Estonian national colours are painted on the rudder. The serial number is displayed on the fuselage in the plain Black style adopted for later foreign purchases.
Serial no. 160, Estonian Aviation Regiment, 1939-1940. Designed as a conversion trainer for the newly ordered Supermarine Spitfire, the PN-3 was also capable of being used as a light fighter. The sole example is shown finished in an overall Natural Metal scheme. Standard Estonian national insignia with no outlines are worn in four wing positions. Estonian national colours are painted on the rudder. The serial number is displayed on the fuselage in the standard Black with Blue drop shadow.
The illustrations above are all taken from our Air Force Special No. 3 - The Estonian Air Force from 1918-1940.
All pictures and text © Blue Rider Publishing 2013